Friday 6 November 2009

All I want is movie love! Why chick flicks should come with a health warning!

Posted on behalf of curvygirl

I’m in a bit of a conundrum at the moment. It’s a classic one. I have a crush on one of my friends. See told you it was a classic! We have known each other for years (a bit of a gap whilst at Uni) but anyway I would say we are good friends which makes it very difficult to say anything without losing the friendship we already have.

I almost write this article as a tribute to the great Whitney Houston with “How do I know if he really loves me?” but then realised that that is not necessarily the issue here. It is but I think it’s actually that fact that I am scared to trust my instincts on this topic thanks to movie love!

All those grand gestures to declare your love, all those and missed opportunities which leave you crestfallen only to find that your heart’s desire feel’s the same way just was delayed on a train and then reciprocates. The long looks, the obvious signals…………………….where are they in real life?

Currently I have no reason to believe the boy in question likes me. I have had, to my mind, no clear indication making the prospect of saying anything petrifying!
However, talking to friends and observation by my sister, we spend a lot of time together, he helps me out when he really doesn’t have to etc…………..the usual. And if it was a friend of mine telling me this I would encourage her to pursue it a bit further.

So let’s just say I get the guts to say something……………what am I really hoping for? Of course, I’m hoping for the reciprocated feelings and then being swept off my feet, or the long, deep gaze into my eyes, his hand brushing the hair from my face and the knowing smile before the long, slow kiss!

This is what chick flicks have trained me to want and expect and even though I know I am deserving of all off this (!) I can’t really expect it. So even by getting the spontaneity and courage to say something and discover that it is reciprocated in some way, will I not always be disappointed by the response as I shall be forever comparing it to movie love??

The clever man would force himself to watch a select list of chick flicks and really get into the mind of a woman. Make a mental note of the parts where women swoon and shed a tear……………these are golden moments for you boys! Do something vaguely similar to these and you are in! It doesn’t even have to be the great romantic gesture declaring undying love, or a proposal………..even the sexy moments where the chemistry is boiling over which leads to a memorable evening would be perfectly acceptable by me! Just look at all the women James Bond charmed!

Now I’m not saying that the onus should always be on the man……………I think women should also be able to make the first move…………..I do think however that in the archives of chick flicks, if a guy wanted a step by step guide, there are hundreds of references that they could review!

So……………will I say anything?
You’ll have to wait and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment